Your task is to choose a current (e.g., in the last 12 months) television program or a film and conduct a content analysis that identifies the stereotypical portrayals used by the producers to condemn or endorse specific lifestyle choices.
• Choose one of the major characters in the movie or TV program you’ve selected.
• Describe their physical appearance; are they made to look attractive?
• What role does this person play in the story? Is it stereotypical? Are they effective in that role?
• What is this person’s job? Is it stereotypical? Are they successful in their job?
• Describe two or three specific actions taken by this person.
• What was the outcome of each action? Was it positive or negative?
• Do the actions/outcomes reinforce a stereotype?
• Is the stereotype positive or negative?
• How likeable and/or intelligent is this person?
• How desirable is this person’s lifestyle?
• What are ways to mitigate the stereotyping portrayal you identified in your content analysis?
Be sure your analysis is informed by social psychology theory and research.
The post Content analysis of a television or film program first appeared on COMPLIANT PAPERS.