Describe the criteria and characteristics required for effective leadership and management.
Human Resources Management in Tourism and Hospitality (OTHM/05/06-L5DTHM)
Qualification Number: 601/5661/2
Credit Value: 20
Unit Reference Number : D/507/0028
Unit Aims :
This unit provides learners with the ability to select and apply appropriate human resources frameworks to the tourism and hospitality industry. Learners will develop skills in the recruitment and retention of staff, as well as the importance of training and industrial relations in the tourism and hospitality industry. Learners will understand the importance of identifying and managing cultural diversity in the workforce. Describe the criteria and characteristics required for effective leadership and management.
1. Identify human resources frameworks to effectively manage the recruitment and retention of staff
- Describe the criteria and characteristics required for effective leadership and management.
- Identify the common issues faced by human resource managers in the tourism and hospitality industry
- Evaluate the practical and legal frameworks and current good practice surrounding the recruitment and selection process.
2. Evaluate training and career development opportunities for individuals, in order to enhance both individual and organisational performance.
- Explain how to maximise both individual and group performance by implementing different performance management solutions
- Explain the importance of career development and lifelong learning to tourism and hospitality businesses.
3. Explain the relationship between pay and motivation, and its significance in developing a reward strategy.
- Summarise the key components and influences on payment and reward systems
- Explain economic, psychological and cultural influences on attitudes and behaviour
- Explain and apply the concept of ‘psychological contract’ in a tourism and hospitality context
4. Review the importance of cultural diversity in the workplace and strategies for managing this
- Outline the significance of cultural diversity to the tourism and hospitality industry
- Explain the benefits of a culturally diverse workforce
- Describe techniques for managing a culturally diverse workforce
- HRM functions in tourism and hospitality organisations
- Labour markets in the tourism and hospitality industries
- Leadership – characteristics and development strategies
- Recruitment and selection
- Employment law
- Performance management and appraisal
- Career development
- Lifelong learning
- Reward and motivation
- Influences on employee behaviour
- The psychological contract
- Cultural diversity and the workforce
- Equal opportunities
- Employee relations and trade unions
- Discipline and grievance procedures
- Employee welfare
Indicative Reading List
- Baum, T. (2006) Human Resource Management for Tourism, Leisure and Hospitality: An International Perspective, London: Cengage
- Torrington, D., Hall, L., Taylor, S. & Atkinson, C. (2014) Human Resource Management 5th ed, London: Pearson
- Mullins, L. & Dossor, P. (2013) Hospitality Management and Organisational Behaviour, London: Pearson
- Nickson, D. (2012). Human Resource Management for the Tourism and Hospitality Industries, 2nd ed., Abingdon: Routledge
- Weber, M. & Dennison, D. (2014) Strategic Hospitality Human Resources Management, London: Prentice Hall
- Describe the criteria and characteristics required for effective leadership and management