NURS 352 Week 6
Cultural Assessment Suggestions
As you conduct the cultural health interview, keep in mind listening and giving your full attention to the interviewee (person) is an essential skill to practice in our journeys in cultural humility. Feel free to ask clarifying questions, or encourage more discussion in areas that are of particular interest to the person you are interviewing.
1. What culture or cultural groups does the person identify with?
2. What common cultural perspectives about what health is does the person have (what does health mean to them)? Are there any local or regional subcultural beliefs and perspectives of health?
3. What health practices are influenced by their family cultural perspectives and traditions? What are those traditions?
4. How does the person perceive health providers’ perspectives and treatment of people of their culture?
5. What does the person wish health providers should know about their culture and health beliefs?
6. What cultural considerations would help members of the community from the identified culture to feel more comfortable accessing community based services, and health care in general?
7. What culturally based beliefs are there about education, economic success and general well- being?